Monday, January 11, 2010

Conversations with Patients...

... require patience. Here is how a conversation with a patient went this morning:

(P=Patient, M=Me)
P: What should I do for back pain?
M: Are you experiencing back pain now as well?
P: Yes, but I think it's because I'm getting older. Don't you get back pain?
M: No, I've been lucky.
P: But you get more back pain when you get older. And you don't have any?
M: Nope. How old do you think I am?
P: I don't know...34 or 35.
M: No, you're quite a few years off.
P: Oh, are you in your 50's? 60's?

Are you kidding me?

Then another patient this afternoon:

M: Oh, I see D___ turned on some music. I bet that was nice.
P: It was so relaxing.
M: (Listening more closely to the music) I really like Enya. I know it's so dorky, but I do.
P: My grandma really likes her too.

I guess I am just a 24 year old who looks 50 and acts 50.

Nice.

5 comments:

Scrumpestuous D said...

Bwuhahahahahahaha.

Sorry about that, but that's just ridiculous.

Abby said...

Just remember that you're dealing with very sick people.


Sick in the head.

Doug Griffith said...

Holy cow, how old does that make me?

Cristi said...

they had to have been joking about you looking like you're in your 50s or 60s! whatevs!

Brittany said...

What? Strange. Well, just remember that even when you are 50 you won't have pain because you are a stellar runner and in shape. :)