Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Life Around These Parts

Why am I so bad about updating my blog this year? Honestly. My bad. Here are the updates for the past couple weeks in the Harris family's life.

Lish went into work a couple weeks ago for his internship job. School was out and everyone was just preparing for the fall semester, so he didn't really have to go in, but he thought it'd be a good idea, just in case something came up. While he was there, a secretary came into his office and said, "I thought you weren't teaching this fall."

"I'm not. That's what I was told."

"Well, we have your name on the schedule for teaching the intro class again. You might want to go ask someone about it."

Long-ish story shortened, Lish was on the schedule to teach this fall, but he's in charge of working in the internship office as well. They told him that if he does teach, not only will he get paid extra for teaching, but he'd get some award money from another teaching award that he won. Had he not taught this semester, he would get paid what he initially expected, but he wouldn't have gotten the money from that award. So, he's teaching again for these fall and spring semesters, which means he got a raise. Yay!

With the raise and having thought about this for over a year, we went out and bought a new TV. We love it. It's a 42" plasma screen. It's beautiful.My birthday came and went. I'm in my mid-20's now. That's weird to me. Good, but weird. Lish woke up early and made me breakfast. I headed into work, and when I got home we went out to dinner with some friends. Lish made me dinner the next night and it was delicious. So it was kind of like a 2 day celebration. We didn't do too much, but I was so worn out from work, so I was okay with that.
My little sister moved up to college last week. It's so weird. She's growing up so fast, which means I'm growing up so fast. I thought time wasn't supposed to get away from you like this until you were in your 50's or 60's. Why does it seem to be happening already? Anyway, she seems to be loving it. She's living in the dorms with her best friend, and although she feels overwhelmed about school right now, I know she'll do great!
Back to Lish stuff. He's starting the application process for jobs. The job market is looking much better than it was last year, which is great! It's fun for us to think that we'll be moving on to the next stage of our lives soon. He isn't being picky about where he's applying because we just want to make sure he gets a job. We both would love to move back out west so we could be closer to family, but as of right now, most of the jobs listed are on the east coast. We're okay with that too, just as long as where we live isn't as hard to get to as Tallahassee is. Anyway, he's busy working on that and continuing to do his dissertation.

Besides those few things, life is just about as normal as it can get. We love the experiences we have here in Florida and we love getting to spend so much time together. It's a good thing we like each other.

1 comment:

Doug Griffith said...

Dear Everyone (and Whitney):

In keeping with her own tradition, I wanted to give a "shout-out" to Whitney for her birthday. Since I am not in the blogging generation, I thought I would embarrass her by doing it on her own blog.

Many of you know and realize how sweet and giving Whitney is, but the amazing part is she has always been that way. Ever since she was a little girl, Whitney exuded kindness. She took tender care of big brothers and a little brother and sister. She was the ultimate peacemaker in the family and just went along. She had opinions and a strong will but disguised it behind a sweet disposition.

Whitney is so thoughtful and selfless. She reaches out to anyone and everyone with an open and accepting attitude. I have so many wonderful memories of her but one of my favorites is just walking to church with Whitney and holding her little hand in mine while she talked with me about her life, friends and fun.

I love my little Doll and am so proud of the woman she has become. I feel so blessed to have her in my life. I continually find her amazing.

I love you Whitney,
Dad